Friday, January 23, 2009

Toyota MR2 Supercharged

As I have mentioned several times on this blog, I really like sports cars, and over the years I have purchased several different models. One of the most fun cars I have ever had was a Toyota MR2 with a supercharger. I purchased a used 1986 model. It had a great reputation, as shown in Wikipedia:

"The MR2 was Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year for 1985. In 2004, Sports Car International named the MR2 number eight on the list of Top Sports Cars of the 1980s. The MR2 was on Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1986 and 1987. This vehicle was often referred to as a "Pocket Rocket"."

It was mid-engine based, and had one of the best manual transmissions I have ever used. Really slick. My current Ferrari's shift feels clumsy compared to the MR2's.

Unlike many other cars I have had this one was very reliable. The most serious problem I had was one day it would not start and I had to have it towed in. Turned out something (rat, mouse, squirrel ?) got in the engine compartment and ate some ignition wires. They were eaten so close to some parts there was no way to patch them, so I had the car sit around a while until we got new ones from Japan.

While I like sports cars, I'm a pretty conservative driver. This was the only car I have ever received a speeding ticket in. My wife and I were on our way to a meeting in Las Vegas. I was passed by another sports car on the way, so I decided to catch up with him. Stupid decision. I caught up with him and the Nevada highway patrol caught up with both of us.

After a few years it was time to move on to another car, and the MR2 was replaced by the Maserati.

Comments or E-mail me


Honda Accord Performance Parts

Honda Accord Appearance Parts


Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment