Saturday, January 3, 2009

1968 Rover 2000TC - The Strangest Car - Part 2

Yesterday I mentioned some of the unique features on this car. There were several others, but the most critical part of the car was not the basic design. It was it's poor reliability. I was the president of a sports car club and one of the members owned an automobile dealership. He sold Rovers and when I told him I was going to sell my Porsche, he suggested I try out the Rover.

I took it for a weekend and drove from Billingham to Seattle and back. One of the finest cars I had ever driven. I read all of the literature (no internet back then) and decided this was the car for me. I purchased it, and within two weeks had my first major problem.

It was in the middle of winter and while driving I noticed that the water temperature gauge had gone into the red zone. The car always seemed to heat up slowly so I only glanced at the gauges once in a while. Anyway as soon as I noticed it, and as soon as I could park, I pulled over and stopped. Now I saw steam coming out. Well, the car was towed in to my friends, and we found that the lower water hose had come off. After an investigation it turned out the engine was damaged and need new parts. The work was done at no charge. I later found out that the bill was over $3,000 (in 1968 dollars). I also found out that another friend of mine who was interested in this particular Rover had noticed in the dealer's showroom that the hose was loose, and he had told the dealer. So I did not feel too bad about someone having to eat the repair.

Unfortunately, the engine work was just the start of the problems with this car. Tomorrow the saga continues.

Please comment or E-mail me

More articles on my web site Honda Accord After Market Parts

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment