Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cars I've Never Owned - But Wish I Had - No. 1

The first car I've never owned but wish I had would be a Jaguar XK 120 Roadster or as it would more properly be called a XK 120 OTS (Open two seater). Sometime in the very early 1950's a good friend of my Father purchased a new one. I'm not sure of the exact model year but it was either a 1952 or a 1953. As soon as it was broken in they took it from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back.

It was a beautiful car. The 120 designation was representative of the top speed of the car which was just over 120 miles per hour. I really don't know anyone who has driven one that fast, as the car's front end got very light at that speed, and the handling become a little dangerous.

The basic specs on the car were 3442 cc engine in one of three tunes: 160 bph, 180 bph or 210 bph. All were dual overhead cam, straight six engines with two SU carbs.

Until two years ago I was a judge at the local San Diego Jaguar club concurs, and there was always a good turn out of XK 120's, its replacement 140's and the final version the XK 150. fantastic looks, good performance, a little crude handling based on today's standards but great for that time period.

Some of the cars are "trailer queens" and are driven only on and off trailers at car shows. Other owners drive their cars. A friend of mine drove his XK120 with his wife and spare parts from San Diego to Colorado Springs for a car show. Washed and cleaned up his car and won 2nd place the next day. Now that's what I call an outstanding car and a driver.

Comments or E-mail me


Honda Accord Performance Parts

Honda Accord Appearance Parts


Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment