Monday, January 5, 2009

1968 Rover 2000 TC The Strangest Car - Part 4

I headed South from Washington towards Santa Monica California. I had a new oil pressure gauge and checked it once in a while. It was a weekend and somewhere in Oregon I noticed my oil pressure going down. Panic time again. I pulled into the first town I came to, and started hunting for an open repair shop. Found one and he took a look at the Rover. Seemed like my friend who installed it, could not fit the sending unit on the block, so he used a tube tapped into a hole and the sender on the other end. Of course it started vibrating when I drove, and after a while it cracked the tube, and oil started leaking out. Fortunately the shop in Oregon, was able to pull the tube out, and plug the hole up. So I was able to continue driving South.

Arrived safely in Santa Monica and found an apartment a few miles from work. I kept the Rover for about a year, during which time I continued talking to the service manager, the area manager and corresponded with the factory. On the side I was told my one of them that one Rover came off the production line and was fine and the next one was crap. Guess which one I got.

Enough was enough, and the last time it went into the shop for service I told them to move it to the used car lot and sell it for me. They found a buyer and after I discussed the Rover with them it was purchased and I moved on to another strange car - the Peerless which I have blogged about earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment