Saturday, January 17, 2009

Death of Honda Sports Cars?

We all know that every car company is cutting back on expensive new model development, while they wait for the economy to turn around. It's just too risky to invest in going in a variety of directions at the same time. So it was no big surprise that Honda announced the demise of some planned vehicles.

I love sport cars. I have had a variety of them over the years including, Porsche 356B, Ferrari 308 GTB, Maserati Merak SS, Toyota MR2, Mazda RX7, Peerless, Triumph, MG TD, Jaguar XJS and I'm sure some others I can't remember at the moment (Senior Moment). So I'm a little sad to report that Honda has decided not to follow up on the S2000 sports car.

Tough times already had killed the planned 2010 Acura NSX, which would have had a front-mounted V-10. Now Honda also has decided to shelve a rear-drive V-8 Acura that was meant to take on BMW in 2015, according to Autocar. The V-8 -- long a thorny issue, given Honda's green image -- was seen as the wrong powerplant because of the uncertain future of fuel prices.

So is the sorts car dead? I don't think so. The Barrett-Jackson auction that is taking place right now is still bringing in good prices for classic sports cars. I saw a Jaguar XKE go for $97,000 yesterday.

It just looks like new ones will not be coming out very soon.

Comments or

E-mail me

Honda Accord Performance Parts

Honda Accord Appearance Parts


No comments:

Post a Comment