Friday, November 6, 2009

I Just Purchased a Honda Fit

I have discussed some of the features I liked about the Honda Fit and yesterday I put a deposit on one.

A deposit - yes?

My wife and I have decided that it is time to move from sunny San Diego, Ca to Overcast and Rainy Southern Oregon Coast.

We just put our home on the market, and all week have had people in and out preparing the house for sale. Two handy men for two days, two cleaners for half a day, and several hours of run cleaning this morning. Next week part of our patio deck is being replaced (termite inspection) and then two and half days to trim trees and get the back yard ready.

So what does all of this have to do with a Honda Fit? Glad you asked. We are faced with getting two 100 lb plus each dogs up to Oregon. We will never transport them in an airplane, so it looked like a car was the way to go. None of our current crop of cars was worth taking up there, which was why I was looking at purchasing a new one. I wanted a fairly inexpensive car that would haul all of us up there.

Once I decided upon a Honda Fit, the question came up, where to buy it. If I purchase the car in California, I will pay both sales tax and all kinds of registrations. Perhaps around $2,000 or so.
If I purchase the car in Oregon, no sales tax and minimum taxes for registration. So do you see where I am leaning?

Now, how to buy a car in Oregon and get it down to San Diego? First problem is, the Oregon dealer cannot sell me the car and have it delivered to San Diego. Second, he can't sell it to me until I am an Oregon resident.

So here is the convoluted plans. As soon as my house goes into escrow, my wife and I will fly up to Oregon. We plan on renting a house for a couple of months, until we find a new home. Once we get there, I will have a lease, and then will open a bank account. Now we can be considered residents.

Later for the rest of the story.

wwww.autogrillcraft.com

SW, BG and MX Grillcraft Grills for your Car, Truck or SUV

No comments:

Post a Comment