Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fit to be Tied?

Sorry about the stupid title for this blog.

I'm still wrestling with what to do when my wife and I move to Oregon. So the purpose of this blog is not to answer the question, but to ask anyone who reads it, to jump in with "what they would do"
answers.

To review for a second. My wife and I and two large yellow labs have to get up to Oregon, once our house in San Diego sells. The question is what is the best and most economical way to do this.

Based on past experience we have ruled out flying the dogs up, and taking a plane. So this leaves, from a practical standpoint, driving up. (I have not checked, but I don't think the dogs would enjoy a train ride).

We have three cars, none of which I would want to drive up to Oregon with two dogs. So we have made the decision to sell all three. As I have mentioned before, I plan to buy a 2010 Honda Fit for the trip and as our main car for the foreseeable future.

Now, if I buy the car from a local California dealer, I would have to pay sales tax, and all registration fees, which I'm guessing would be around $2000. Within a month or less we would move to Oregon and have to register the car all over again, and pay more fees. Not something I want to do.

On the other hand, if we purchase a new car in Oregon, there is no sales tax, and very minor registration fees. Two problems. First, buying it there, means that we have to drive it back to San Diego, and drive it around here for a while. Not sure what California would think about that.

The second problem is that we are California residents and not Oregon residents at the moment. Turns out Oregon car dealers can only sell to Oregon residents. And the state wants multiple documents to prove residency. Such things as a driver's license, utility bills, bank accounts etc.

So that's the problem. What would be your solution?

Thanks for visiting.

wwww.autogrillcraft.com

SW, BG and MX Grillcraft Grills for your Car, Truck or SUV

No comments:

Post a Comment