Saturday, February 28, 2009

Jaguar XFR - 225 Miles Per Hour!

My wife has a Jaguar XJ8, and it replaced a XJS a couple of years ago. We are both members of the San Diego Jaguar club, and I'm a former officer. So I keep track of what is happening in the Jaguar world.

This year Jaguar offered a model called the XF, which replaced the S series. The XF is the combination of a sports car and luxury sedan (according to Jaguar literature) four doors and four passengers. It started out with a 300 hp basic engine and now has an optional 510 hp supercharged one called the XFR.

The April 09 issue of Road and Track, which I just received today has an interesting article on the XFR. Seems that a slightly modied sedan has set a new top speed record for Jaguars - 225 mph at Bonneville. This beat the former record of 217 held by the Jaguar XJ220 supercar in 1992.

According to Jaguar the standard XFR had minor areodynamic (rear spoiler plus), and safety modifications to comply with Bonneville requirements. The stock 510 hp engine had some tweaking in a remapped ECU, modified exaust and air intake systems and revised supercharger settings. What really struck me was that it was using the car's standard 6-speed automatic transmission, with no change in gear ratios.

Now this is a record that I love. Appears I will have to keep a closer eye on the brand.

Comments or E-mail me

Honda Accord Performance Articles

Honda Accord Appearance Articles

Thanks for visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment