Saturday, February 21, 2009

$87,500 for a Hybrid?

Yes, and that's the price for the base model. The top end is $106,000! Just what am I talking about? Well, its the Fisker Karma. Fisker Automotive Inc. of Irvine, California is planning this model for 2010, and recently announced the price range.

In today's San Diego Union-Tribune is a picture of the car. Looks great, and nothing like a hybrid. Some of the specifications are: 50 mile range on battery, and around 300 on 4 cylinder engine; 260 horsepower, turbocharge 2.0 liter four cylinder engine from General Motors; Top speed, battery 95 mph; Top Speed battery and engine 125 mph.

The spec I like is o-60 mph acceleration 5.8 seconds. Faster than my 1984 Ferrari.

What I'm not sure about is the gas mileage as no mention was made in the article. Now I thought that hybrid cars were supposed to be high mileage vehicles, at low entry prices, and pretty ugly looking. This seems to be the opposite. Very high price, in the top end Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz range. Great looking, and pretty fast. What goes here?

Not sure also about bragging rights. Do I want to tell people that I spent over $100,000 for a car? Not that I have a $100,000 to spend - it's just the idea of a hybrid for economy and this price tag. However, I'm sure that a lot of people will line up for the new Fisker. Fisker's goal is 15,000 vehicles per year, with 1,300 worldwide orders in hand.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out next year in light of today's economy. I really doubt the 15,000 will happen.

Comments or E-mail me


Honda Accord Performance Articles

Honda Accord Appearance Articles


Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment