Saturday, March 7, 2009

Auction - Eight Figures and Counting!

That is one of the points being made by an article in the Collector Car Price Tracking email I received yesterday. What are they talking about? Well it seems that at the 22nd Dana Mecum Original Spring Classic Auction taking place May 13-17, 2009, in Indianapolis, Indiana, one of the six original 1965 Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupes will be up for sale to the highest bidder.

Let's see, (I have to use my fingers for this), I think that is $10 million or so. If the car goes for that number it will be the most expensive American car ever sold at an auction. So what is worth that kind of number? Well this is serial number CSX2601, which means that this car was one of the six that Carrol Shelby to compete against the dominating Ferrari in the F.I.A. (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile) World Manufacturers Championship for GT race class.

This particular car won the 1965 World Manufacturers Championship for the United States and Shelby American on July 4 in Reims, France. I had mixed feelings when I read this. On one hand I'm very proud to be an American, but on the other hand I always rooted for Ferrari, and here was the car that beat Enzo.

So from a historic standpoint it is a very rare car, and historic race cars seem to bring the most money at public auctions. Now who will purchase this gem? In today's economy it seems a little pricey for a public museum. My guess is a private collector who may acquire the car and then it will disappear from public view for a long, long time. While average cars have dropped in value this year, one of these rare ones will still bring the big bucks.

The auction will be on TV, so I'll be watching. Will you?

Comments or E-mail me


Honda Accord Performance Articles

Honda Accord Appearance Articles


Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. If you would like a free one-month trial to the Collector Car Price Tracker, go to www.collectorcarpricetracker.com/ebay. We've created this program so people can see what cars are really selling for. Hope you find it useful. Keith Martin, publisher (keith.martin@sportscarmarket.com)

    ReplyDelete