Wednesday, December 31, 2008

1959 Peerless Part 4

After owning the Peerless for several years I started having both transmission and engine problems. About the same time a friend of mine who owned a Triumph sports car had a fire in his garage. His car was declared totaled by his insurance company. Turns out while the outside and inside of the car was ruined the engine and transmission were in good shape. Since his running gear was in much better shape, I purchased his car and towed it to my house.

I had never done an engine and transmission swap before, but how hard could it be? Well a little harder than I thought. I did it by rigging a pulley in my garage and started taking things apart. I can't recall how long it took, but many nights and weekends to pull his stuff out and have his car towed away. Pull my engine and transmission out and then install his. I'm sure I will never do this again. I also had a lot of small parts, nuts, bolts and what have you left over. Still not sure where they all went.

The swap turned out ok. The new parts worked fine and it eliminated the prior problems I had. The only major difference was the electric overdrive. I did not know how to removed the old one and add it to the new stuff, so I wound up with a four speed box without the fancy overdrive capabilities.

Comments or E-mail me!

Check out the articles on my site: Honda Accord Aftermarket Parts

No comments:

Post a Comment