Tuesday, December 30, 2008

1959 Peerless Part 3

A continuation of the Peerless saga. My peerless came with a four speed manual transmission and an electric overdrive. I still don't understand how it worked, but you were able to shift from first to second to second over (switch on) then to third (switch off) third over (switch on) to fourth (switch off) and then to the final overdrive. Still sounds strange to me after all of those years. I never did shift in this pattern, but it could be done.

So after a short time the overdrive stopped working. I found a shop that could work on it and they fixed it. As I think back, it was a waste of money as I only drove the car in Los Angeles and never really needed the overdrive feature.

The main problem with the transmission came up after a year or so of owning the car. If you went down a hill in fourth gear and took your foot off of the gas to allow a little compression braking the gear shift would pop out of fourth into neutral. It was a little strange trying to get back into gear. After a while I got tired of this I took the car back to the same shop for more work. This time the car was worked on for several weeks before I got it back. The problem was fixed for a couple of years and then started up again.

Tomorrow the saga continues.

Please leave a comment or E-mail Me!

My Honda Accord site: Honda Accord Aftermarket Parts

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment