Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Air Filters | Why they are important

I'm interested in more performance out of my cars, and I assume if you are reading this blog that is one of your interests also.

One of the ways to increase the stock horsepower in a car is to improve the air flow both into and out of the engine. In another blog I'll talk about the engine exhaust.

The more air that comes into the engine, the more oxygen is delivered to the cylinders. When this extra oxygen is mixed with the proper amount of fuel and burned, more horsepower is developed.

In prior blogs we discussed different types and brands of cold air intakes, and I stressed some of the features of them. The one area I did not cover in any detail was the air filter. Factory air filters, and most of them you can purchase in the local auto parts store are made out of paper. This can result in several things.

First while they trap dirt and debris they also restrict the air flow. So less air means less power. Second, they become dirty and when they do, the only thing you can do is throw them away and buy a new one. Over time you will be spending a lot of money on paper filters.

The after market cold air intake companies have answered these problems with unique design for their air filters and special materials. The designs allow more air to flow through even when the filter becomes dirty. And many of them allow cleaning of the air filter, and typically these particular companies will offer a lifetime guaranty for their filters. Let's see the stock filters offer the same.

Two of the most typical of these aftermarket brands are AEM and K&N. AEM has a filter they call the DryFlow and it can be cleaned when it becomes dirty. K&N also has a great filter, but they use a light oil bath on their filter. Both improve the air flow and even the catching of very small particles before they harm your engine.

I would use and trust either brand. Since I can use only one at a time, I'm currently running with a K&N in my Ferrari.

Comments or E-mail me


Honda Accord Performance Air Filters

Honda Accord Power Air Filters


Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment